Public, Patient, and Family Engagement
The patient voice needs to be integrated into all that we do – planning, evaluating, researching, and improving care. The Public, Patient, and Family Engagement Team at Shared Health can support you in making this happen.
Engagement in health is about enabling and supporting patients, families, and members of the public to be active partners at all levels of the health system: in their own clinical care and self-management, providing input into decisions that shape and improve the quality of patient-care, health programs, policies, evaluation, and research, and building an overall culture of engagement in the health-care system. Patients provide valuable insight into how they experience health-care services, how these services affect their health and how these services enable them to take control of their own health.
Public, patient, and family engagement is included in the principles of the Manitoba Quality and Learning Framework.
The Public, Patient, and Family Engagement Team is working in partnership with the Regional Health Authorities/Service Delivery Organizations and other key health partners in the development of a provincial approach, processes and tools for engagement. These include:
- Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority (IERHA)
- Northern Health Region (NHR)
- Prairie Mountain Health (PMH) *network user name and password must be entered to access site
- Southern Health-Santé Sud (SH-SS)
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA)
- CancerCare Manitoba (CCMB)
- Manitoba Health
- Centre for Healthcare Innovation (CHI)
Together, we are:
- Creating standardized processes and tools to support the integration of the patient voice into decision-making, planning, quality improvement, strategic planning and Clinical and Preventative Services Projects;
- Creating a Provincial Patient and Family Advisor Network to enable and offer recruitment, training, and connecting Patient/Family Advisors to health-care engagement opportunities;
- Developing engagement education, tools and resources for staff and Patient/Family Advisors;
- Providing consultation and mentorship to health system transformation project team members about:
- how to engage Patient/Family Advisors in planning and evaluation for projects;
- coaching the facilitation of engagement activities; and,
- providing other resources and supports as agreed upon.
Information for the general public on engagement and the Patient and Family Advisor Network can be found on the Shared Health website.
Please reach out if you are exploring how to engage Patient and Family Advisors. We are here to support you.
- Colleen Schneider, Provincial Lead, Public, Patient, and Family Engagement
- Suzie McLeod, Patient Engagement Consultant
Contact us at SHPublicpatientengagement@sharedhealthmb.ca